Penang, 1 Dec 2022 – The Association of Malaysian Medical Industries (AMMI) organised its inaugural Malaysia MedTech Industry Summit in conjunction with Penang’s 50th Anniversary of Industrialization, supported by Penang State Government, InvestPenang, Penang Development Corporation (PDC) and Malaysian Investment Development Authority (MIDA).
The objective of the event was to serve as a platform for local suppliers to connect with medical device manufacturers. The summit saw many presentations and best-practice sharing sessions.
Mr Andy Lee gave the Welcome Remarks, followed by the Keynote Speech by Penang Chief Minister, YAB Tuan Chow Kon Yeow. The first half of the summit saw presentations by Ms Lim Bee Vian (Deputy CEO, Investment Development MIDA) and Dato’ Seri Lee Kah Choon (Special Investment Advisor to CM) on Creating a Robust MedTech Ecosystem.
Here is a recap of the other topics in the morning session.
Improving Manufacturing Excellence Industry-Wide
1. Sayron Ruiz, Director, Manufacturing Engineering, Boston Scientific Penang
2. Michel Van Crombrugge, AMMI Treasurer/ Leader of AMMI OpEx Committee; Country Manager, Paramit.TECAN
3. Dato’ Hans Brenner, AMMI OpEx, Committee Member; Director, KLS Martin Group
4. Ms Hawwa Nouay, Director, Operational Excellence, B. Braun Medical Industries
Sustainability in MedTech Manufacturing and Outlook
- JC Guillou, AMMI Board Member; VP, Global Operations & Sourcing, Gloves, Molnlycke Health Care
- Elmar Friesnegger, AMMI OpEx Committee Member; VP Central Functions Plant Operations, B. Braun Medical Industries
- Gogielan Nantha Kumar, Deputy Director, Green Technology Division, Malaysian Investment Development Authority (MIDA)
Panel Discussion: Building the Talent Pipeline and Creative Retention Strategies in the Medical Device Industry
The panel discussion was moderated by Ms Tan Lin Im, AMMI Talent Development Committee Co-Leader; APAC Regional Senior HR Director, Teleflex Medical. Panel members were:
- Jason Ng, AMMI Government Affairs/RA/ OpEx Committee Member; Manufacturing VP, UWHM (UMediC Group)
- George Kazzi, General Manager – Malaysia & Philippine, Head of Commercial Excellence India/SEA, Baxter International Inc
- Ir Dr. Nasrul Anuar Abd. Razak, Head of Biomedical Department, University of Malaya
- Joyce Ong, HR Director, Boston Scientific Penang
Supply Chain Session: Achieving Supply Chain Resilience: Strengthening Medical Device Ecosystem
Dato’ Loo Lee Lian, CEO of Invest Penang gave the Opening Remarks for the afternoon session. The session was created for the medical device companies to share their latest sourcing requirements and parts that they would like to localize in Malaysia. Boston Scientific, Cochlear, Dexcom, Smith & Nephew, Tako Astatic Technology and Japan Lifeline (JLL Malaysia) shared about their companies, products and supply chain needs. The evening ended with Networking Cocktail Session for the attendees.